Thank you for using Sider. This is a request to those who have previously installed Sider via OAuth Apps, to migrate to GitHub Apps (this does not affect users who have already installed Sider via GitHub Apps).
January 16, 2020 (Wednesday)
If most users have completed the migration, we may perform the migration before this date.
If your organization has not migrated to GitHub Apps by the deadline above, the organization’s pull requests will not be analyzed and will be treated as an error. To resolve the error, you will need to migrate to GitHub Apps and redo the analysis.
Please note the following about this migration:
- Your organization’s subscription will not be canceled
- Your organization’s data on Sider will not be lost
- The time required for the migration will be only a few minutes
- On GitHub Apps, you will be able to use new features like Checks API (in the future).
- On GitHub Apps, you will not need to set a normal user as a bot to your repositories. It will prevent the problem of not being able to post a comment on a Sider issue on GitHub, even if a user that was registered as a bot leaves the organization. Also, any seats for a bot will not be consumed on GitHub Apps.
- GitHub Apps is officially recommended as the way to integrate with GitHub.
- GitHub Apps has more granular permission settings for each repository, so you can restrict access to repositories which do not need Sider, making it more secure.
How to migrate
Migration will need to be completed by your organization’s admin. Please follow the steps below:
Firstly, please visit your organization page on Sider, and click on the Activate & Migrate button. If the button is not displayed, your organization has already migrated to GitHub Apps, so you can omit the steps.
Next, the screen will automatically move to the installation page on GitHub. Please select All repositories or Only selected repositories here. The difference is as follows:
- When adding a repository for analysis after installation, you can just add the repository on Sider (same as current).
- Sider can access to all repositories in the organization.
Only selected repositories:
- When adding a repository for analysis after installation, you need to add the repository on your Applications (Personal) or your Installed GitHub Apps (Organization) page on GitHub, after which you would need to add the repository on Sider.
- This will be less convenient than OAuth Apps but is more secure since you can restrict the repositories that Sider can access.
This selection can be changed on GitHub even after installation.
After selecting, please click the Install button. Once installation is successfully completed, you will be redirected to Sider. This completes the migration process. Your pull requests will be analyzed as before.
If you have any questions about the migration, please contact our support.